We are less than one month out from kickoff to the 2011 Holy Cross Football season and its opening up under the lights" vs UMass. Here is your Crusader Football Fix!!
With our Crusaders now in camp, let's ratchet up our focus in spreading the word and the enthusiasm to Fill Fitton Field!!
I. Gameday Details for All Holy Cross Football Alums and Friends
5pm Gates Open...this time is subject to change and may be moved up.
5:30pm Football Alums and Friends Tailgate at Tent on Left Field Line at Baseball Stadium
6:45-7:15pm Ring of Honor Recognition and Public Remarks by Honorees at the Tent referenced above
7:45pm Crusader Walk of Honor formed on Fitton Field by Football Alums and Friends for honorees and then the 'Saders!!
7:50pm Ring of Honor On Field Ceremony
8pm Kickoff to VICTORY!!
11pm est Postgame Tailgate on Left Field Line at Baseball Stadium (recommended you bring a few cold ones for this postgame victory celebration)
Parking is expected to be tight so I recommend people get to the Woo early and "get comfortable"
II. MAJOR PROPS
There are a number of alums who have truly stepped up to rally the troops and to Fill Fitton Field. I want to publicly acknowledge the following loyal 'Saders!!
1. Brendan Devlin '01 for launching the Fill Fitton Field website. If you have not perused that site, check it out. There is a lot of great material there. Sign the Guest Book if you have not done so yet.
2. Mark Cannon '77, Craig Cerretani '79, Steve "Gerald" Hiorns '80, Ed Doyle '82, Doug O' Donnell '83 are sponsoring and/or bringing upwards of 400 students from selected middle schools, high schools, and youth sports programs to attend the game. How great is that!! Well done, gentlemen!!
3. Chuck Doyle '86 for organizing a busload of fanatics from Fairfield County. Chuck showing his lead blocking skills once again.
4. Bob Danahy '55 has underwritten a nice block of tickets for classmates from the Great Class of 1955. Nicely done, Robert!!
5. Bill Maloney '59 is hosting a class dinner prior to the serious tailgating and game. Ever the leader, Bill!!
6. Vince Promuto '60, John Provost '75, and Gordie Lockbaum '88, three of last year's inductees into the Ring of Honor will be with us on the 1st. These Crusader Legends will be at midfield to greet this year's honorees. Nicely done gentlemen!!
I know that Ed Murphy and his clan have a significant rooting interest in a Fordham-UConn game on the 1st but will certainly be with us---and we will be with them---in spirit that evening.
7. Class captains/agents leading the charge to inspire their troops to be "in the house" include:
Ron Maheu, Rod Deleaver, Elmo Wright, Craig Cerretani, Glenn Verrette, Paul Matasavage, Dougie O' Donnell, Tom Heffernan, Leo Carlin, Chuck Doyle, John Hackney, Gordie Lockbaum, Jim Grady, Patrick Quay, John O' Neil, Dan Adams, Casey Gough, Nicholas Cole, Anthony Dimichele. GREAT JOB and Thank YOU!!
I encourage others to follow the lead of all these "brothers" and rally your own troops, friends, neighbors et al to help us Fill Fitton Field and give our Crusaders a real homefield advantage as we create a Purple Wave on September 1st.
If you have not yet purchased your tickets, dare I ask why you are waiting....LET'S GO...
For ticket info and details...
IV. Aside: a Crusader Connection in New Orleans Saints Training Camp
Two of the best Crusaders from the early '80s are reconnected in a manner of speaking in the NFL. How so?
Terry 'Moses' Malone '83 has Harry Flaherty's son (Harry Jr., Princeton '11) in camp down in the Big Easy. Here is a big shout out to 'Moses' and both Harrys.
V. The Countdown to Kickoff Continues.
With this message, let's formally welcome the freshman and their families to the Crusader Football Family.
All the best to Coach Gilmore, staff, and the team as they get camp into full swing over the next few days. Rest assured gentlemen, all the alums, the HCGLC, and friends of HC Football "HAVE GOT YOUR BACKS"!!